Sunday 10 April 2011

Running out of steam: 3 more efforts

These are even less prepossessing than the previous attempts - so I'm presenting them as In Progress , to at least show myself I'm still trying - and I hope I will feel my way into tightening them up in due course. The first, being about a jazz trio (albeit with an ever-changing line-up) uses 3- or 6- word lines as a slight structural discipline.


GIUFFRE, BROOKMEYER, JIM HALL

A valve trombone can also do
the tailgate thing –
and as I write I see
a group in tight black bombazine
suits and inconspicuous
bowler hats they would I believe
call derby
                entertaining
on unpolished brass
genteel white ladies
in a teagarden –

but in Brookmeyer’s hands the instrument
plays smooth as an alto saxophone
The Train and the River running
side by side. The green country
sound of guitar dreams lyrical into
damp shade and lush grass stalks.



“BOTH SIDES - ALL THE SIDES”
a 5-day self-portrait

Day 1

He wanted to be a vagabond,
a swashbuckler, not care
if the hairbrush went in the butter
in the frypan on the shelf, paint
big rangy abstracts, hitch his way
off to Bolivia, to the Pyrenees:
instead he went for security, sat
for thirty years in a job, saw himself
a little grey man in a grey suit
and an invisible pre-sixties bowler hat.


AN EXERCISE FROM PROMPTS, IN PROGRESS

synaesthetic metaphor: just school

fruit: orange excruciating

name from school: hillside library

rhetorical question: newspaper robert

direct address to reader/audience: see attention

foreign word: origato hermanos

game of chance: nutshells chain

No comments:

Post a Comment